Oct 12, 2008

St. George Marathon!!!

So, Tom rocked the marathon! Back in January 2008 he decided that he, along with a few friends and family, were going to go for the St. George Marathon. Turned out that only he, his friend Chris Price, and Jonny our brother ended up running in it. When they started running last winter, they started out with 3 miles and their lungs were burning. They were out of shape and hadn't worked out in awhile. However, they pushed through and by July Tom could run 10 miles easy. Through the summer they ran, and ran, and ran. I never knew how time consuming it is to train for a marathon.
Anyway, we went down to St. George three days before the race and just relaxed and had some fun before they killed themselves running. We swam, went to see Les Miserables at Tuacahn, and CARBO LOADED! I like that part of the whole training because I love Italian food. On the day of the race it was raining, I mean pouring rain. However, they all beat their personal goals and finished in plenty of time. Tom finished in 3 hours 37 minutes! I was soooooo proud of him. He did such an awesome job. I think he could have done better if it wasn't for the rain, but he was hoping to be under 4 hours and he totally beat that.
I'm so proud of Tom and all that he did to push through this goal. He has such a determination that I admire, he works so hard at all that he does. Way to go Tom, Jon, and Chris!


Tom running to the finish line! (Sorry about the lady in the picture, she just popped out of nowhere)

He was too fast that I never got a picture of him running towards me, only away :)

Tom and Chris with their shining medals.

Jon, very excited to be done.

The three amigos.


Tom ran in with Chris at the end.

Right after he crossed the finish line.

Chris at the end.

Way to go babe!


All the excitement of watching daddy wore Lucy out.

The aftermath of the marathon...a few lost toenails and some huge nasty blisters. Above: Jonny's blood blister. Below: Chris' toenail. (Luckily Tom did not have either of those problems.)

9 comments:

Terry and Amber Andrews said...

WOW, I hope one day I can do that too. It has always been my goal. Good Job Tom! I can't believe how big Jonny is. That is unbelievable. Way to go.

J Fo said...

I think that the lady in that first picture looks like Jocelyn Parmer from the old Hilcrest ward, don't you? Yuck to the blister and toe pictures! It was so fun to see you guys! Congrats on beating your goal, Tom!

Haley said...

Wow! That's so awesome. I did a 10k and was spent for the day! I can't imagine 26.2 miles!

The Bischoff's said...

That is so awesome! I don't think I could ever do that! I would die running a whole mile! :) Good Job Tom!

Danielle said...

I am way proud of you Tom! One day I hope to be able to do that!

Russ and Megan said...

Way to go Tom! I agree with Jess the lady does kind of look like Jocelyn Parmer! Kind of funny. I actually did a marathon back in February and it is really time consuming to train but feels good when you've finally done it. And how great that he doesn't have too many battle wounds! (I unfortunately did lose a toenail in the process)

Brad and Jana said...

That is awesome! I could never make it, I would die! Way to go Tom!

Heidi Henderson said...

What a fun time that was! I found your blog through David and Tiffany Price... Is it okay if I add you to mine? You guys are so fun! What a great marathon that was!

Sarah said...

A belated Congrats to Tom! :)